Friday, March 23, 2012

The theory of relativity

A long time back, an intelligent man put forth a brilliant comparison for explaining a theory of physics using a analogy that went on to become one of the most popular statements in theoretical physics. The well-known line states “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”.
This simple analogy for explaining relativity got me thinking about how we tend to perceive our crises in life. I have often talked to my friends about “tragedies” in our lives – getting passed over for a promotion, breaking up with our boyfriends/girlfriends, getting frustrated with our bosses/co-workers, and so on. In the totality of our lives, the incident takes immense importance, and we constantly talk and crib about it. It’s the only thing that matters. We not only need to expresses our opinion about the situation but also ensure we collect the advice of all those we come in contact with. And no matter what, nothing, absolutely nothing, alleviates our pain.
Three weeks back, I was in a bad mood. Something was wrong with the way things were in life. And I was upset. In accordance with my traditional behavior, I was in a foul mood. However, one day, while coming back home from work, I stopped to meet a good friend. As is the case with most good friends, he could instantly sense my terrible mood, and insisted I share what was bugging me. I poured my mind out with one of my famous non-stop rambles. He heard me out, half-smiled, and said, “Did you know that my aunt lost her husband to a snake-bite, then lost her eldest daughter to brain hemorrhage, her son to cancer and then her youngest daughter to a heart attack?” I didn’t quite know what to say. I didn’t see any point of why she would want to live on. That must so totally suck. I went back home that night thinking of all the tragic stories I had heard over the years- and I had heard quite a few- and I realized that the magnitude of whatever was wrong in my life definitely did not trump the misfortune so many had faced.
Relatively, life isn’t that bad. I have parents who are healthy, a good job, some terrific friends and 27 years of awesome experiences behind me. I might not have achieved everything that I put down in my “master plan” for life, but every deviation and detour resulted in a lesson that I treasure. I met some amazing people, and each one of them taught me something unique.
So, I don’t care if something is screwed up right now, I am sure it will get better. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!